Day 2 – Aug 26, 2011- 8:30 AM to 6:30 PM – Part 2 of 10 audio posts
After introduction by Professor Sadiq Reza,
Professor Frank Vogel spoke again (briefly) on History of Islam/Sharia (with slides)
This was an 8 hour Symposium hosted by NY Law School Law School Review on “Sharia in America:Principle and Prospects” to examine the place of Islamic Law in The United States.
As we approach the 10th Anniversary of 9-11, this symposium seemed more like a two-day commercial for Islam. Take Heed.
Snippets from Professor Vogel’s presentation:
1. Vogel set up Harvard Sharia Law School program 20 years ago
2. Colonialism – WW 1 – was destructive to this Stable System (Sharia Law)
3. Demands of interpretation caused scholars to become Heads-of-State
4. spoke a lot about fiqh and itijihad
5. After 13th c four schools of law closed door on itijhad
6. Left only radical States still practicing itijihad
Professor Vogel spoke for 19 minutes. Then he took two questions. This is AUDIO (with slides that accompanied his presentation)
Flickr slide show of the slides in Audio (in Flickr you are able to enlarge pictures for better reading)
Symposium continues (Part 3) with Professor Michael Broyde (Emory University School of law) on Jewish Law AND, please follow link below to a fabulous article on the symposium written by Alyssa Lappen “Sharia Lobby Shifts into Fifth Gear”